Austin Area Birthing Center offers a wide array of classes, all included in your birthing fee, to help support you throughout your pregnancy, after birth, and to prepare for your new arrival. One of our popular classes is our Cloth Diapering session.
Did you know in your baby’s first year, if you choose disposables, you’ll contribute nearly 3,000 diapers to your local landfill?
If you’re interested in keeping your family’s carbon footprint low and having a sustainable home, cloth diapering may be for you.
While disposable diapers are easy to use, cloth diapering can be confusing for first-timers, but is easy to master.
There is a wide array of cloth diapers to choose from – some that take pins, some that come with snaps and other types of fasteners. There are liners and covers to consider. We cover all this in the diaper class so you can figure out what’s best for your family and your new baby.
Click here to see the dates and times for our diapering class, offered once a month at both Austin ABC locations.
The Many Benefits of Cloth Diapers
While disposable diapers have come a long way over the years, the fact is they are still man-made of artificial elements that rub against your baby’s skin and end up in a landfill. Cloth diapers, on the other hand, are all-natural and can be reused again and again. Here are some other benefits to consider:
- Cloth diapers are chemical-free and so long as you launder them responsibly, will remain so
- Encourages earlier potty training because your child can feel the wet and know they urinated
- Saves money – cloth diapers can be used for all your children then recycled to another family
- Will keep tons of waste out of the landfill and keep more water in the water table
- Avoid late-night runs to the store when you realize you’re out of disposables
Health Concerns Associated with Disposable Diapers
In addition to environmental concerns with disposable diapers, there are legitimate health concerns. Disposable diapers are man-made from synthetic materials and contain chemicals that wick moisture and reduce odor. These can trigger reactions in some children. Here are some risks to weigh:
- Disposable diapers are more likely to cause diaper rash
- In studies, mice exposed to disposable diapers exhibited asthma-like reactions
- Most diapers contain xylene and ethyl benzyne which can be toxic
- Sodium polyacrylate, the substance that absorbs wetness, is a potential respiratory tract irritant
- Petroleum-based lotions in disposables may be contaminated with the carcinogenic PAHs
- Dyes and inks used to decorate disposables can cause diaper rash
Is Cloth Diapering for You?
Cloth diapering isn’t for everyone, but may be a good fit for your family. If you do choose disposables, there are reputable companies that offer organic alternatives so you don’t expose your baby to the harsh chemicals most popular diaper brands contain. Seventh Generation and The Honest Company offer disposables made with all-natural materials, unbleached cotton and are fragrance and petroleum-free. The best way to make an informed decision is to come to our diapering class, check out products and techniques and get all your questions answered by Austin ABC’s experts.
To find out more about Austin Area Birthing Center, contact us for a tour of our AABC Duval, AABC South, and AABC Wilco locations. Our award-winning maternal care is affordable, and our low-cost birthing fee is all-inclusive of all our prenatal, postnatal and baby care classes including the Cloth Diapering class.
Call us for a tour – reach us our AABC Duval location at 512-346-3224, AABC South location at 512-243-8066 and AABC Wilco location at 512-900-3832.